Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wednesday Morning Breakfast!


So Jamie and I are on a little mini vacation this week and I've been sleeping in the last 2 days. We both fell asleep on the couch downstairs last night and woke up with sore backs. So of course instead of crawling into bed upstairs, I decided to wake up at 8:30!!! That's almost unheard of for me on a day off. Jamie's usually the one that makes elaborate breakfasts for me and this morning I wanted pancakes. I remembered my friend, Julie, posted a recipe for pancakes with blueberry sauce on her blog. I made a few changes. 


Fluffy Pancakes
original recipe
makes 10 - palm-sized pancakes

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour whole wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon butter Becel, melted
  • cooking spray

  • Directions

  1. Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to "sour" while you prep the rest.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and whisk until lumps are gone. This will happen with a few good whisks.
  3. Let the mixture sit for a couple minutes so that vinegar gets the batter all frothy. Do NOT re-stir the batter!!!
  4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray.  Scoop 1/3 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet. You almost need to shimmy the batter around to spread it out.
  5. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface. I found the batter quite thick and I didn't see the bubbles like I do with other pancake recipes. I flipped with a spatula when I saw the top of the batter start to move. If I let it sit till it bubbled, the bottom would have burnt. 




Blueberry Sauce


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup sugar 2 tbsp of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/3 1 cup water
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
  • pinch of salt

  • Directions
  1. In a 2-qt. saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in water. Add blueberries and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat down to low and stir occasionally until you're done cooking all your pancakes. Serve warm or cold over French toast, pancakes or waffles.



I wanted some coffee but we didn't have any on hand so Jamie roasted some beans up in our popcorn maker. I tried to take a picture of the steam coming off those hot hot beans but didn't make it in time with the camera. 

 Now for those that know me, know I love my savory foods. Yesterday the Mundare sausage I ordered from this little girl that came around a few weeks ago fundraising finally arrived. We pan-fried that up with some onion as the coffee was brewing. 
The recipe was very easy to make. It would have tasted a lot better with all purpose flour because with whole wheat, it was a little dry and crumbly. I think also omitting a lot of the fat didn't help. I'd definitely go back to this recipe though! I love vacations!! Hope everyone has a great Wednesday! 



1 comment:

Julie said...

Yay Sandy! They look yummy! I wish I could have had some coffee... mmm...